10-15mins prep and cooking time
Rich in protein, fibre, essential fats and antioxidants, this guilt free nutritious treat will get you through that 3pm afternoon slump and tide you over until dinner.
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup black sesame seeds (fine to use blonde ones too)
- ¼ cup cacao nibs (optional)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- a couple of pinches of salt flakes (optional)
- a sprinkling of cinnamon (optional)
- Gently heat a large heavy base fry pan on the stove top over a low-med heat.
- Add almonds and macadamias.
- Dry cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until you can smell them and they start going golden/scorched in places (approx 3-5mins)
- Add the seeds a cacao nibs and continue to gently cook for several minutes soon they will start to pop and crack. Try the sesame seeds to see if they now have that nutty toasted taste.
- Add the maple syrup and stir quickly to coat everything well. It will sizzle and bubble.
- Turn off the heat and sprinkle salt flakes and / or cinnamon (if you are using them) and quickly stir again.
- Before it has a chance to cool down, scrape everything out spread and onto a couple of dinner plates or a flat tray to cool.
- Don’t separate it too much – it makes great little clusters that you can break up later if you like.
- Allow to cool for 20 mins or so – in this time everything will dry and become deliciously crunchy with a lovely glaze.
- Pop into an air tight jar or container and try no to eat them all in one sitting! Pairs well with a lemon balm & ginger tea and a piece of fresh fruit.